Monday, May 30, 2022

Passing of Rabbi Moskowitz and the contrast between Rational Judaism and Yeshiva Judaism

 Unfortunately over the weekend my teacher Rabbi Morton Moskowitz passed away from a long illness. he hadn’t been well for a while. I watched the Levaya (funeral service) on Zoom / video conference. It was quite interesting to see what was mentioned in the funeral services by his wife, his chaver and friend Rabbi Israel Chait, my high principal and Rebbe, Rabbi Bernard Fox as well as that of some of his students. They spoke about his happy demeanor and thirst for knowledge and questions.  This is the area  and mindset I grew up in. This Yeshiva / neo Charedi Judaism that is gaining popularity with each year is somewhat concerning to me because they don’t seem to have a filter or sense of balance. They go all out and sometimes overboard with their garb and attitude.  


No comments:

Post a Comment