Thursday, May 14, 2020

Purpose of synagogue and communal prayer

In light of what is going on we need to rethink fundamentally what is the purpose of prayer and communal gatherings. Is it to pray to God seriously? Is it to gather socially?

I try to pray for it’s sake when possible. Therefore the social aspect isn’t as important to me as it would be for others. That’s not to say that I am anti social, it just isn’t the place to schmooze for me like it is for many of my other religious brethren.

Perhaps that explains why these Rabbis at the OU and Agudah are more careful than I would be. Their constituency looks to the shul for more than just a place to daven. I understand it but in these times it won’t work.

I have attended numerous semachot (happy occasions) and been at shul for funerals the opposite end of the spectrum. However the shul isn’t a bar or dance club. For some of the frummies or more stridently Yeshivish crowd, the shul is their social life. They don’t go to bars and Starbucks, ballgames etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment